Phone: (843) 875-7012
Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Lauren Berowski
My name is Mrs. Berowski, and I am teaching 7th grade ELA core and GATE courses! I moved from Buffalo, NY to Charleston, SC in April of this year, and I finished out the year
teaching 9th grade ELA at Ashley Ridge High School. I also coach JV cheerleading at ARHS. I have a Bachelor’s degree in English and a Master’s of Arts in Secondary English Education from Binghamton University. I am certified to teach in both New York and South Carolina, and I absolutely love it down here in the south! I have been teaching for just over three years. In that time, I’ve taught 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 12th grade English. I’ve also worked as a Pre-K through 6th-grade librarian while teaching 8th-grade literature.
One of my proudest career moments thus far was bringing the library into the world of technology! I converted the entire card catalog to a digital system for easier access for my students. My favorite book is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and my favorite poet is Edgar Allan Poe. My teaching philosophy is that I believe that all students have the right to a welcoming, comfortable, and safe learning environment where they can be themselves (or figure out just who that is!). All students learn in different ways, so we must be able to adapt and change how we present information in order to benefit each child. I think students must learn how to be kind and respectful to others in addition to academics, and I incorporate a lot of character building activities into my lessons.
In my free time, I love to travel with my husband, go hiking with my dog, work on my small design business, and read mystery novels! I am slightly obsessed with donuts and coffee, and I enjoy going to yoga. I am so excited to be joining the DMS family, and I cannot wait to see what this year has in store! Go Wildcats!
When checking PowerSchool, please remember:
Checking PowerSchool regularly is the best way to stay informed about how you are doing in class and on top of your grades.
- You can click on the grade for language arts, and PowerSchool will display the assignments included in that grade.
- View details to see a description or a hyperlink to the document.
- If an assignment is marked “--” by the grade, the teacher has not yet entered the grade.
- If the assignment was not turned in (marked “M” for missing, "L" for late, and “0” for no grade earned), you can turn it in to the Late Tray for up to a week after the due date. If you were absent when it was originally due, please indicate it on the sheet.
- Assignments cannot be turned in more than a week after the due date.
- If an assignment is turned in late, please understand that it will be a few days (usually until the following Friday) before the grade will be updated.
- Classwork will not be accepted late under any circumstances. If I accidentally give a student a 0 for classwork and they were absent from class, please email me or speak to me in class and I will fix the grade.