Phone: (843) 875-7012
Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Kernita Porter
I was born in Manning, South Carolina and moved several different places as a military ‘brat.” My father dedicated 23 years in the U.S Army. After graduating from High School, I graduated from Charleston Southern University in May 2000. I furthered my education and attained a master’s degree in Counseling in 2005 and a master’s degree in STEM.
After teaching science for 3 years, my principal asked me to get Gifted and Talented endorsed. While endorsed, I taught science lab for 3 years to 3rd and 4th graders. Later on, I taught math and science to third and fourth graders for 5 years. I got certified to teach Project Lead the Way, a STEM curriculum. The next school year I taught STEM and third-grade math and science. You could say I love school, but I really have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge!
I have an extremely busy professional and spiritual life while my husband, Eugene (retired Airforce veteran), and I raise two young kids, Kania (6) and Eugene (10) in Ladson. Eugene will be in fifth grade at ABES and Kania will begin second grade at WRES! In my “spare” time, I love making crafts or room decor, selling and wearing jewelry, traveling (preferably a new place), and taking the time to have a good laugh!
Let’s make this a great year!
The best way to get in contact with me is through email:
When checking PowerSchool, please remember:
Checking PowerSchool regularly is the best way to stay informed about how you are doing in class and on top of your grades.
- You can click on the grade for language arts, and PowerSchool will display the assignments included in that grade.
- View details to see a description or a hyperlink to the document.
- If an assignment is marked “--” by the grade, the teacher has not yet entered the grade.
- If the assignment was not turned in (marked “M” for missing, "L" for late, and “0” for no grade earned), you can turn it in to the Late Tray for up to a week after the due date. If you were absent when it was originally due, please indicate it on the sheet.
- Assignments cannot be turned in more than a week after the due date.
- If an assignment is turned in late, please understand that it will be a few days (usually until the following Friday) before the grade will be updated.
- Classwork will not be accepted late under any circumstances. If I accidentally give a student a 0 for classwork and they were absent from class, please email me or speak to me in class and I will fix the grade.