Special Services Parent Liaison Group
Our main purpose is to facilitate supportive connections between Special Services (SS) Families and Dorchester District Two (DD2).
In addition, the group hopes to offer guidance, resources, and information for Parents, as well as assist with any concerns and questions they might have.
- The SSPL Group will meet every other month (September, November, January, March, and May).
- Meeting Notes/Minutes will be posted on the District Website and elsewhere for parents to review.
- There is no funding necessary for this Group.
Connect with Us
Please refer to the SSPL group contact-region-feeder school list (PDF) to reach out to your liaison.
STRUCTURE OF THE GROUP FOR THE 23-24 SCHOOL YEAR
The Dorchester District Two (DD2) Special Services Parent Liaison Group (SSPL) is currently comprised of 15 total Liaisons throughout the District. 10 Parents (Legal Guardians) to represent the 3 Geographical Regions/Feeder schools into Ashley Ridge HS, Fort Dorchester HS, Summerville HS, as well as 3 educational age groups (Elementary/Middle/High) of SS Students, with one additional Parent Liaison to help represent a highly populated area of our district.
We also decided to have 3 “Dual-Representatives” that have both a SS Student as well as being Employed by the District (to offer additional perspective, they will cover administration, classroom, and special services). The final 2 Group Members are the SSPL-Chair, along with the SSPL-Assistant Chair. The SSPL Group will embody a variety of class types offered throughout the Special Services Program as well. In the future, there may also be opportunities for extra volunteers to focus on specific assignments that help the group function more effectively. (ie. Social Media, Secretarial, etc.)
Members of the Group were selected by The SSPL Planning Committee (Superintendent, Director of Special Services, Chief Academic Officer, SSPL-Chair/SS Parent, and SSPL-Assistant Chair/SS Parent). The Liaisons were narrowed down from a pool of SS Parents that submitted Parent Interest Forms. Names were suggested by Principals, APs, self-nominated, and/or fellow SS Parents referrals. The final selection was chosen in a collaborative meeting to ensure the most diverse representation across the whole District.
- Requirements: Parents/Guardians will need to have a SS student currently enrolled in the DD2 School District.
- Roles of the Liaisons: They will be a “point person” for the “Region” they help represent. Parents are then welcomed to reach out via e-mail to their “Liaison Representative” with any feedback/questions/concerns, etc. They are there to help communicate with the appropriate parties to get answers/follow ups back to the parents. They should also select the most urgent/repetitive issues to use a “talking points” for the collective SSPL meetings.
- Miscellaneous: If someone is unable to complete their term, a new Liaison can be chosen to take over for the remainder of the school year. This is an unpaid, volunteer position. The service time commitment will be one academic school year.