Practicum & Student Teaching Guidelines
Dorchester School District provides a nurturing learning environment that will continue to foster the growth of aspiring educators. Student teaching in Dorchester Two is a culminating experience in the education journey that is rich in hands-on learning experiences for each student. Dorchester Two partners with colleges and universities to provide these experiences for college students.
Prior to a practicum and student teaching placement, the college/university in which the student is enrolled must have a current affiliation agreement contract and a current Certificate of Insurance on file with Dorchester Two. The Certificate of Insurance must be generated by the college/university in the amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $3,000,000 aggregate listing the district as a certificate holder. Both documents should be submitted via email to Maurice Cannon, Substitute and Professional Development Administrator.
This same procedure will be followed for practicum, intern, and student teacher placements in Dorchester School District Two.
Student Teaching Placement Requests.
The request for approval of the student teaching and practicum placement must be submitted to the Dorchester School District Two Personnel Department by the college/university designee who oversees student teaching placement by e-mail to Maurice Cannon.
Student Teaching Information Sheet
3. Student Teacher Application in AppliTrack
Student Teacher candidate will submit an External Application in AppliTrack indicating a Position Desired as Student Teacher (Seasonal Employment section). Notify Alana Jackson in Personnel when your application is submitted.
4. South Carolina Department of Education Application.
Prior to student teacher placement, candidates must ensure that their applications at the South Carolina Department of Education are complete and Cleared for Student Teaching by going online and clicking on the View Certification Status link at the top of the SCDE Certification web page. You can access the information by way of the following link:
Additional information regarding fees and submission of application materials can be found at the SCDE website using the following link: https://ed.sc.gov/educators/teaching-in-south-carolina/student-teaching/
5. Cooperating Teachers
Dorchester School District Two offers effective teachers the opportunity to share their vast knowledge and expertise in the area of teaching and instruction with student teachers, interns and observers from our partnering universities, colleges, alternative certification programs and other teacher preparation programs. Cooperating Teachers are lifelong learners who successfully implement best practices, are proficient in interacting and communicating with student teachers and are dedicated to helping mold our future educators. Effective Cooperating Teachers are an intricate part in the development and success of the student teacher. If you are interested in being a Cooperating Teacher, please let your principal know.
Cooperating Teacher Eligibility:
- At least three years’ experience in your field of study and current courses taught
- Valid credentials within your field
- Received “Proficient” or above on most recent Teacher Evaluation
- Strong knowledge base of your content area
- Proficiency in lesson planning and delivery of instruction
- Commitment to helping mold a future educator
- Positive attitude toward the profession, position, parents, students, and colleagues
- Ability to interact and communicate in a respectful, caring and supportive way
- Flexibility and patience
- Good listening and problem solving skills
- Willingness to share your classroom, materials and resources with pre-service students
- Recommendation and approval of School Principal